The Yard Dwell Time Report is a measure of the weekly average terminal dwell time, measured in hours, for the 10 largest terminals for each carrier. This information can help in determining the efficiency of each terminal, and give you reliable information for planning rail routes. Data for the Yard Dwell Time Report is derived from information reported by Class 1 railroads to the Surface Transportation Board (STB) on a weekly basis. This data excludes cars on a run-through basis and includes only U.S. operations for Canadian railways.
Why Is This Important?
How can data on Rail Yard Dwell Time help you? By monitoring the time it takes railroads to move cars through classification yards, you can identify and anticipate where your transit times may be affected. Most shippers rely on notices of late shipments to be informed of service delays. Monitoring railroad tracking performance data for yard dwell allows you to be more proactive.
Using this information, you can forecast where your railcars might see longer delays, and plan accordingly. You can also see which months or quarters tend to see increased rail yard dwell time across multiple terminals. You can also use the Rail Yard Dwell Time report to forecast dwell times in given areas, make comparisons between terminals or rail carriers, and more.
Chart Viewing Tips: RSI’s reporting tools allow you to change charts and filter information in several ways. To view yard dwell time for a particular railroad, or to compare railroads, select one or more in the railroad filter. To take a closer look at a particular year, quarter, month, or another time period, use the time filters. You can also see dwell time forecasts for the next month, quarter, three quarters, year, three years, and more. To take a look at the yard dwell time for terminals in a particular area or along a given route, simply select the terminals in the Location Name filter.
Use these shortcuts to filter your information faster:
- Click on a name in the chart legend to highlight that data range. Use Ctrl+Click or Shift+Click to select multiple ranges.
- On a chart, mouse-over any data point in order to view additional detail.
- Click on a data range to select that range and view additional options (Keep Only, Exclude, View and download underlying data).
- Click to select any data point.
- Click and drag to select multiple points.
- Ctrl + shift + click to zoom in.
- Shift + click and hold to pan the chart.
Changes to Dwell Locations: Occasionally the Dwell Locations will change based upon decisions by the Class I organization. You can see the notes on changes here.
05/25/2022 – KCS Dwell Location Changes
- Kansas City, MO moved positions from 3 to 2
- Laredo, TX moved positions from 4 to 3
- Jackson, MS moved positions from 2 to 4
- Wylie, TX moved positions from 6 to 10
- Artesia, MS moved positions from 7 to 5
- Baton Rouge, LA moved positions from 10 to 6
- Port Arthur, TX was removed
- Heavener, OK was removed
- Leesville, LA was removed
- Meridian, MS was added
- Latanier, LA was added
- Beaumont, TX was added
Need More Information?
RSI maintains a series of railroad statistics and information that can help you be more informed. These performance charts are an example of the type of reporting that is included in our railcar management software. Notice that these charts can be filtered on the fly and downloaded in various formats. Based on your business, RSI can monitor specific events and trends and provide you with up-to-date railcar tracking information. If you’re interested in learning more about RSI’s proactive monitoring and railcar tracking services, please contact us.