Rail Logistics Services
Make rail shipping easy by putting RSI’s team of experienced rail fleet management professionals to work for you.
Whether you need a complete full service solution or assistance with one aspect of your rail shipping, RSI has it covered with the most experienced fleet managers and the latest technology solutions in the industry.
Are You Losing Money to Inefficient Rail Transportation Processes?
Use our Rail Logistics Grader to identify time and money saving opportunities for improvement.
Focus on Your Business, Not the Railroads
Let RSI perform the daily railcar tracking and expediting of your shipments while you focus on less clerical tasks. We have a professional team that works with the railroads every day.
Reduce Your Accessorial Charges
Many rail receivers are paying too much in demurrage and private car storage charges. Good demurrage management takes time; plant personnel often lack the time and resources. Let RSI focus on minimizing your demurrage charges while enabling internal staff to attend to less clerical issues.
Maximize the Productivity of Your Rail Fleet
RSI logistics offers complete rail fleet management services. Whether it is analyzing your fleet requirements, maintaining the day-to-day positioning of cars, or managing your railcar maintenance, put RSI’s team of experienced rail fleet management professionals to work for you.
Our rail fleet administrative services include:
- Fleet Optimization.
- Analysis for fleet size and equipment requirements.
- Fleet allocations, balancing cars across locations to supply and demand.
- Metrics reporting for equipment utilization and costs.
- Lease Management.
- Maintaining lease database.
- Lease invoice audit.
- Circular OT-5 submissions.
Minimize Maintenance Costs and Ensure Compliance and Safety
RSI’s railcar maintenance and equipment management services help to maximize the productivity of your fleet.
- Maintaining railcar mechanical data and repair history.
- Managing compliance programs.
- OTMA submission.
- UMLER Updates.
- Performance Reporting and Metrics.
Shop and maintenance management
- Auditing billing repair cards.
- Shop selection and planning.
- Providing inbound shop disposition.
- Dispatching mobile units.
- Providing shop instructions to repair facilities.
- Review and authorize car repair estimates.
- Audit estimates for content, pricing, and completeness of mechanical requirements per AAR guidelines.
- Review, approve, and payments for car repair invoices.
- Expediting maintenance events and providing shop status reporting.
Eliminate Finance Charges, Overcharges, and Reduce Staff Time
If carrier billing errors are not being properly identified and contested, it’s likely that your transportation costs are being inflated by 2-3%. Our system automates the prepayment audit process for every shipment. Accurate freight accrual reporting is provided as shipments are executed. Incorrect carrier invoices are disputed and RSI follows up with the carriers until billing disputes are resolved. RSI will defend the customer in carrier billing disputes for up to 3 years after the billing date. Freight payment service is also available and we can integrate with your ERP system.
Whether you are new to rail or an experienced shipper, RSI is available for project based work when the time, focus, or expertise is not available internally. Here are examples of the types of projects we have experience with:
- Rail service design and setup
- Rail rate analysis and benchmarking
- Mileage equalization audit
- Demurrage management
- Fleet sizing and fleet asset strategy study
- Finding and evaluating new rail locations
- Administering significant fleet changes
- Leading value stream mapping exercises to assess a shipper’s rail program
What our customers have to say...
RSI’s professionalism and expertise has earned them the lead role in managing our rail transportation program. RSI directly supports our corporate logistics, customer service, and plant operations.
Rail Transportation Manager, Petroleum Shipper
We’ve had the pleasure of utilizing RSI’s products and services for nearly 15 years. They’ve taken all of the hassle out of managing our rail transportation and delivered significant savings.
President, Agriculture Products Company
RSI’s terminal services have enabled us to reach new markets and grow our business. Their great support and customer service gives us a competitive edge with our customers.
Manager Corporate Transportation, Chemical Shipper